Tuesday 21 November 2023

Avoca Beach (November 17)

To be honest, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out when was the last time that I paid a visit to Avoca Beach. The last walk with the camera around the beachside suburb was Aug 2014, and I know for sure I haven't been there since Covid struck in December 2019. As for the occasion, well I would have to say that it would have to have been for the same reason that I ventured there last Friday – to see a movie. It's one of the delightful little places to go to on the coast – a large room with comfy chairs, old-fashioned movie memorabilia and arguably the best (and cheapest) choc tops on the Central Coast.
The only problem is getting there. For me, on public transport, taking the easier way of bus/train to Gosford then the 66A to the lovely venue takes me around 90 minutes, if my connections are good. (Catching it from Woy Woy didn't sound like a good idea, seeing the trip planner had me getting off the 64 somewhere near Kincumber then grabbing the next 66 service from a random street.) Car would definitely be easier for this trip.
And it was worth the effort to go see what could well be the only film that I'll see at a cinema in 2023 – the remastered edition of Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense concert from 40 years ago. To think I was in high school when that happened.
Anyway, I wanted to get there well before the 1.25pm session (the only session I may add) and have a wander around, fully knowing that trips there are rare indeed. The camera got a good workout, and I had a good walk around the beach, though I managed to lose a pair of sunglasses whilst doing so. It started overcast, grey and cool, but by the time the movie started the tempreture went up a few degrees, the sun was out, and my jacket was in the bag.
Before the movie though, I dined at one of three beachside venues – my preferred choice of Avoca Beach Seafoods, where I ate the last time that I was there. It's a simple little takeaway, which does offer a few outside tables for dining, though you have to retrieve your meal when the order number is called out. Naturally, I was able to get my preferred meal of a chicken schnitzel burger with just lettuce and mayo this time, in a meal deal with chips and a drink. I received the order in around ten minutes. Though I polished off the burger, a few chips got discarded and it was a slow walk across the park to the cinema on the other side where I had a chunky vanilla choc-top for desert for just $5. The burger BTW, wasn't as good as the previous one that I had had in Woy Woy, but it was just what I wanted at the time. Next time I might even try the grilled version rather than the crumbed.
It was doing a good trade whilst I was there with a variety of people ordering meals ranging from dog-walking old-age pensioners to Asian tourists. There was a warning notice in the outdoor area – Beware of the Kookaburras. It was a necessary - these big-beaked birds had obviously scared off the local seagulls and had claimed this piece of the beach. Don't leave any fish lying about...
Cheers!

Links correct at time of posting.
Pictures by Geoff G Turner (c) 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A rainy day lunch at Woy Woy (April 4)

The Woy Woy Hotel, with the Gnostic Mana Café next door on the corner. Can't believe this is the only picture I've got of it, taken ...