Thursday 28 September 2023

Ocean Beach (August 24)

It's a bit confusing when you look at it on a map. There are two beaches in Umina and two surf-lifesaving clubs. Umina Beach SLSC is at the end of Ocean Beach Road, with the beach curving around the front of the recreation reserve and the tourist resort, whilst Ocean Beach SLSC is nestled between the end of Trafalgar Avenue and The Esplanade, the latter continuing around to Ettalong which I really must do at some point. It is a short walk from the main street where buses, namely the 50, 54 and 55, regularly visit on their way around the peninsula.
Lion Island in the centre.
It's fair to say that of all the beaches around the Central Coast, this is the one I've been to the most. When I first moved to the Woy Woy Peninsula in 1999, I was often tempted to wander down to the beach just for something to do, even if it was just to sit on the beach and watch the waves crash in. Some days I took a journal with me or worked on a story. Now that I'm back here I have a camera in hand and even though I must've taken hundreds of shots of the beaches, I still find new subject material. On this particular day I had business to attend to in town and once that was concluded I continued down the avenue for some breakfast, opting to go to a little spot called Cafe M which is located in a corner of the Ocean Beach SLSC.
The little cafe is conveniently placed, and it does save you having to wander up the street for a coffee or a cold drink. The fair is simple and reasonably priced, and you can dine there whilst admiring the view of Broken Bay and beyond. Winter was a good time to visit – there were no seagulls about, though there were a few curious sparrows picking up a crumb or two. (Sparrows are a rare sight around here – this is the only place where I've seen them.) On this visit I purchased an egg and bacon roll with a popular brand of soft drink for $14. I have tried a schnitzel burger there on another occasion, with both being on par with most of the other eateries located in and around West Street. The roll was tasty enough and did its job to sate my hunger for the time being.
The beach went through a lengthy recovery period after extensive storm-related erosion several years ago and is now quite wide. If one is feeling energetic enough, you could easily walk around to Ettalong Beach or go right round to Berrima Crescent to the end of Umina Beach where the rock shelves are. It's probably the easiest of the 'three beach' walks that I've done. It's patrolled by lifesavers on weekends and public holidays, with council lifeguards stationed there from September to the following end of April.
Much like other Central Coast suburbs, there'll be multiple postings seeing the number and variety of eateries has grown significantly. Umina has changed considerably in twenty years and has become more tourist friendly, though you do need your wits about you to dodge all the cars cruising down the main street or inconsiderate cyclists riding on the sidewalks.

Links correct at the time of posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A rainy day lunch at Woy Woy (April 4)

The Woy Woy Hotel, with the Gnostic Mana Café next door on the corner. Can't believe this is the only picture I've got of it, taken ...