Thursday 28 September 2023

Kincumber (May 12)

The suburb of Kincumber is currently a semi-regular haunt of mine, seeing my psychologist has an office there. If I get motivated enough, and the weather is fine, I'll make sure to pay the broadwater a visit either before or after my appointment. In the past, when I wasn't having problems with my calves and ankles, as a result of several seasons of grade soccer in Sydney, I've walked to neighbouring Yattalunga or taken the long hike all the way around to the central wharf at Davistown. Yes, there are regular services there throughout the day (even a ferry service from Woy Woy), but the walk around there is well worth it. If you're a birder like me, there is plenty to keep you occupied on that trek and not just coastal birds either.
Local boat-builders monument, Kincumber
The section of the waterfront I accessed is a short walk down Carrack Road, almost directly across Avoca Drive from Kincumber Village. The area has an abundance of schools and retirement villages and has three bus routes running down the main road – the 64, 66A and 66C. On this particular day I took a leisurely trip from Woy Woy on the 64, visiting waterside suburbs like St Huberts Island, Empire Bay and Bensville, all three which were on my paper route ten years ago. The ride was nearly seventy minutes, but it wasn't as if I had anything else to do that morning. I quite enjoyed reacquainting myself with these places, especially Empire Bay seeing I made a dedicated trip there years ago with Monet to wander around there and the neighbouring Cockle Bay nature reserve.
Though there are plenty of cafes, fast food restaurants, takeaways and even a supermarket near the waterfront, there's hardly enough space around the jetty for lunch, with locals opting to sit inside their cars in the small carpark whilst dining. (I'd say the large number of ducks and seagulls nearby would often deter people from dining alfresco. Even when they are snoozing the rustle of food-wrapping would soon wake them up.) I wouldn't recommend packing a hamper for a picnic, seeing there's a lack of open space about, but there are benches at random points along the waterfront so perhaps some takeaway or a packed meal and eating it a bit further up the path, via Algona Avenue (also off Avoca Drive) wouldn't be a bad idea.
For me, well I decided to utilize one of the eateries in the immediate vicinity. Having dined there many years ago after one such photography stroll, I decided to pay a second visit to the Kincumber Hotel and see what had changed. The answer was nothing, though workers were renovating some of the outdoors dining area, though that may well have finished by the time this gets posted. The venue has a separate bar room and bistro, though you don't have to walk far to get a drink. It was a pleasant enough day to eat outside (and plenty of people were), but if there's a telly switched on a sporting channel, I'm more tempted to park myself in front of it to dine, especially if I have nobody to talk to.
I ordered a chicken schnitzel that day and was quite surprised that my meal was ready in about ten minutes, considering the amount of people there at that time. The schnitzel dominated the plate, resting on a decent serve of chips and not buried in a jungle of salad. I was delightfully pleased that it was as close to perfect as it could possibly be. The crust was crunchy, wasn't burnt and the schnitzel itself was still quite juicy when I bit into it. It was quite possibly the best one that I've ever had. Even better that the meal cost $15 and was washed down with a nice tap cider. Staff were quite pleasant and friendly and one of them had my plate cleared within a couple of minutes of me finishing it.
Gees, a quality burger and a schnitzel within a week. How good is that?

Link correct at time of posting.
Picture taken by Geoff G Turner (c) 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A rainy day lunch at Woy Woy (April 4)

The Woy Woy Hotel, with the Gnostic Mana Café next door on the corner. Can't believe this is the only picture I've got of it, taken ...