Thursday 28 September 2023

Woy Woy (Sept 8)

Over 70 years ago Woy Woy was advertised as the 'Venice of Australia'. Legendary comedian, author and longtime visitor to the area Spike Milligan, lovingly referred to the place as 'the armpit of NSW' and 'Australia's largest above ground cemetery'. For his environmental and literary efforts (he did write three books whilst sojourning at his parent's place in nearby Booker Bay, including one volume of his WW2 diaries) a pedestrian/cycle bridge was named after him, though I strongly felt it should've been the local library instead. One can find a small display of his personal memorabilia there though.
Like Umina, it has improved in recent years with an upgrade in facilities (especially medical) and the establishment of a variety of eateries. You still have to be careful with the traffic however, but at least the cyclists now have plenty of bike tracks to utilize.
Woy Woy (or Deep Water as the original inhabitants of area called it) may not have beaches like Umina and Ettalong, but the watery vistas are just as pleasant. Local ferries ply their trade to nearby Davistown (a trip I shall take one day), Ettalong and Empire Bay via the channels and if you want to fish, this is a great place for it. The area is quite flat and walking around is quite easy; a decade ago when my legs were less injured from sporting accidents, I could manage a stroll from the Woy Woy waterfront through Blackwall and Booker Bay, all the way around to Ettalong. The town is connected by road and rail, with Gosford 10-15 minutes away and twice hourly rail services will see you at Central Station in Sydney in 80-90 minutes.
During Spring and Summer one of my mental health support groups meets at the waterfront (just down from the memorial park) seeing the weather is generally much more pleasant. Be advised, the weather can be rather fickle here. Yesterday, when I was there catching up with other members of the group, the weather was rather nice and warm. Today I've been stuck at home for most of the day due to the rain. Such are the 'joys' of living on the coast.
I've eaten at quite a few places in Woy Woy, but my preferred one nowadays is a little Thai restaurant on The Boulevarde called SaTanG-Thai. It is open for breakfast and lunch seven days a week, and open for dinner Thursday to Sunday from 5pm to 9pm. A friend of mine from Bendigo treated me to dinner there on my birthday in 2022 and I have been back there ever since. Western meals, such as the ubiquitous chicken schnitzel burger are available, or you can even have a coffee or a smoothie and enjoy a pastry there which a lot of people do.
Me personally, I'm a sucker for Chicken Pad Thai. Seeing I've been a finicky eater practically all my life, it has taken me a long time to get the nerve to try something different, and when I tried this particular dish for the first time several years ago (when away at an interstate gaming tournament) I was hooked. So, if I dine at a Thai restaurant, that's what I'll go for. This place does it particularly well, it is reasonably priced at $15, and I generally find I just can't quite finish it all off but leave very full indeed. I'm such a regular there that the lady that runs it knows me by sight and knows exactly what I want to order. One day I'll surprise her with something else or even dine with a guest.
Honestly, if the weather is fine, I thoroughly recommend grabbing some takeaway and eating it on the waterfront. Be advised, if you do do that, you will acquire the interest from the local wildlife. Yesterday the seagulls outnumbered the ducks. Other days the ducks will outnumber the seagulls. Local council recommends that you don't feed them, but people invariably do. Some visitors go out of their way just to be photographed with them.

Links correct at the time of posting.
Photographs taken by Geoff G Turner (c) 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A rainy day lunch at Woy Woy (April 4)

The Woy Woy Hotel, with the Gnostic Mana Café next door on the corner. Can't believe this is the only picture I've got of it, taken ...